Suggest treatment for foul smelling, pale yellow, loose stools for my 13 month old son

My 13 month old son has been having very foul smelling, pale yellow, loose stools for the last month ever since he started on milk. He has a bowel movement about 6 times a day. 4 before 11 am. Could this be something serious? Anything I can do for him at home before seeking his pediatrician? Also he doesn't seem to want to eat much, he is always tired, not sleeping well at night.
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Change to milk Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank you for your question. I am sorry that your son has been uncomfortable. One thing to consider, is lactose intolerance. This is due to a deficiency in the enzyme lactase which is responsible for breaking down and digesting milk and dairy products. Lactose intolerance often leads to frequent, foul smelling stools, and excessive gas. It can also cause stomach pain and irritability, which could account for your sons difficulty sleeping at night. All of these factors could contribute to your sons daytime fatigue. The answer, typically involves either lactase supplements, or the decrease of lactose containing foods such as milk. I wouldn't attempt any of these things without consulting with your doctor first. Good luck.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for foul smelling, pale yellow, loose stools for my 13 month old son 1 hour later
Thank you for your quick response. I will speak to his pediatrician about it and go from there.
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: You're welcome Detailed Answer: Hi, You are very welcome. Please don't hesitate to ask again. We are happy to help in any way. regards,