Suggest treatment for enteric fever

my daughter aged 7 years and 8 months has fever since last monday (3.2.14) afternoon.she weighs 20kg. initialy the doc prescribed fever medication p650 and piritone for the occasional cought that she had.When there was no reduction in the fever i took her to a paediatrician again who advised blood and urine tests.The test revealed a positive salmonella typhi 'o' 1:160.The doc instantly prescribed cefolac 200mg twice daily after meals and a b complex syrup, and has asked to report the status of fever by monday.I wanted to know how serious it is and whether these medications are ok The blood test was taken today(8.2.14). What type of diet should i follow? Should i expect any side effects from the above prescribed medication?
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax. Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. Relax,there is nothing to worry. Your child is having enteric fever for which doctor has started right medication. Continue with medication as advised. Give plenty of fluids Give vegetable soup,milk. Give soft bland diet like rice porridge,khichdi. Give fruits properly washed. Maintain proper hygeine,wash hands frequently. Be in regular follow up with your pediatrician. Hope I have answered your query,let me know if I can help you further. Wishing your child good health. God bless...
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for enteric fever 4 minutes later
Thank you doctor for your immediate reply. The paediatrician has asked to note the temperatures after every 6 hours. Again thanks a ton. Regards
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Thanks for your follow up. Yes fever needs to be monitored every 6 hourly and in case it is above 100F give paracetamol as per dosage (15mg/kg body weight)that is half tablet of paracetamol 650. Hope this helps. Take care.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for enteric fever 2 days later
Dear Doctor, Thank you doc ever soo much .The immediate reply means a lot to me.The fever has stopped since saturday (5:15pm---last time paracetamol was administered).The temberature has not climbed beyond 98.5-99 since then. I am soo much relieved as she has returned to her normal self. Feeding her is the only problem as she is a fussy eater.Though my mother and me have tried our best to feed her healthy diet consisting of soups, dal broth, fruit(avoiding citrus fruits) , bland rice and dal etc etc.I had a telephonic consultation with her paed today morning and he adviced me to continue the medication for typhoid for 10 days and then repeat the test thereafter.She even threw up a lot of cough yesterday night. Thank you once again Doctors like you are our strengths and i really appreciate what you are doing. Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: thanks.for your appreciation. Detailed Answer: We at health care magic are glad to help you. Good to hear that your little XXXXXXX is doing well. Continue with medication. Yes,it is tough to feed but keep trying. Wishing you and your family good health. Take care..