Suggest treatment for diabetes type 2 with hypertension and extreme fatigue

I have Diabetes type 2, C A D, & Hypertension & extreme fatigue & weakness in my legs. I currently see a cardiologist & a family physician,my quality of life is deteriorating & I want to enjoy my grandchildren & I don't get any help from my Dr.s. I don't know where to turn, I would like someone to see the whole me. I am female & 66yrs. old
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Get Thyroid function test done Detailed Answer: Hi Ma'am, Thanks for your query. I can fully understand your agony. I would deeply appreciate if you could give more details about your weakness in legs, the drugs being taken for all three conditions, and the latest test reports. However, taking all your ailments and present problems into active consideration, the possibilities of extreme fatigue and weakness in lower limbs are:- 1. Involvement of nerves of lower limbs, as a diabetic complication (called Diabetic Neuropathy). It manifests itself in the form of numbness, pins and needles, pain in the feet, and weakness in lower limbs. 2. Poorly controlled blood sugar. In this state, the body system is unable to convert carbs into fuel for day to day activities. 3. Narrowing of the arteries of the lower limbs as a complication of CAD and Diabetes, thereby reducing blood flow into the extremities. (called Atherosclerosis). 4. Disc herniation in the lower spine, thereby 'pinching' the nerves of the lower limbs. 5. Severe thyroid problem (underactive thyroid glands, called Hypothyroidism), which is commonly associated with Diabetes and causes extreme fatigue, generalized weakness, including weakness of legs. 6. A failing heart, which is unable to supply adequate blood to meet the body's demands. Please get THYROID HORMONES LEVELS done at the earliest; ensure that your blood sugar is under ideal control; get your kidney function tests to assess the state of kidneys (whether or not, they have been affected as a diabetic complication; MRI of lower spine if you have low backache; Blood test to exclude significant anemia (low Hemoglobin level). I am afraid I cannot offer further opinion in the absence of additional information as requested. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe or modify the treatment accordingly. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal