Suggest treatment for cough, cold and low appetite for my 4 1/2 years old son

ENT Specialist
my son is 4 1/2 years old and he is suffering from cold and cough from last 4 days did not eat any thing . his weight is 18 kg . please tell me what can do for him.
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: supportive treatment Detailed Answer: Hi, Upper respiratory tract infections are usually viral in nature. They usually run their course and go away by 5 -6 days. Supportive treatment will ussually suffice. For blocked nose you can use otrivin P nose drops. Instill 2 drops in each nostril 2 times daily for 4 days. Always follow it up with steam inhalation. If nose is running then he will need antihistamine syrup like cetirizine. If he has sore throat then he can take paracetamol syrup after checking the dose. Please see either an ENT or a paediatrician for the prescriptions. Follow some general measures. 1) Plenty of warm fluids like soups, warm water. 2) Warm salt water gargling 3 times daily. It is difficult for children but keep encouraging them to do it. 3) Avoid cold foods and airconditioning. 4) Steam unhalation 5 times daily. 5) Plenty of rest. If your child does not feel better then please see a doctor because he may need a course of antibiotics. Also a chest infection needs to be ruled out. The report that you have attached has something to do with company secretary examinations. Guess you made a mistake while attaching. Regards, Dr Rajkishori Godhi.