Suggest treatment for cold,cough and ear itching after viral flu

I have had this col for 2 weeks now,still coughing,but now my ears are itching inside and burn when I eat hot sauce or drink soda,
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: To rule out LPR... Detailed Answer: Hi, Cold, cough and ear itching commonly are seen following viral flu. However most of these symptoms resolve in 3-5 days. very rare do these last for more than a week. Since you are suffering from it for about 2 weeks, I would like to exclude acid reflux conditions before treating you. GERD and LPR (larynogpharyngeal reflux disease) are two entities that can be diagnosed through endoscopy. I would refer you to an endoscopist or gastroenterologist who will know about this test. In the interim, I would start you on prilosec OTC before breakfast for couple of weeks. You can also use benadryl allergy tablets or syrups for additional benefits. Warm salt water gargling is also recommended. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards