Suggest treatment for chronic scalp folliculitis

Hello I have a lot of sores on the scalp along with dandruff. I have this since last last 7 years and now I've observed that my hair is thinning and having a lot of hair fall. The sores white fluid filled and when I scratch them sometimes they bleed. I was on antibiotics for pleural effusion 7 years ago and I had issue since then I believe. I now take head bath twice a week should I increase this? Can you please let me know what could be the treatment please?
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Scalp folliculitis Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to healthcare magic. From your history and description, it seems to me that you may be having chronic scalp folliculitis. It is a bacterial infection of the hair follicle and can become chronic in areas like the scalp and legs. It could also be associated with scalp itching and dandruff. Itching can lead to spreading of the lesions as the infection spreads by scratching. I suggest you the following- 1. You need to take a course of antibiotic Doxycycline 100 mg once a day after breakfast for 6 weeks. This will control the active infection and reduce the frequency and number of sores. 2. You could also apply an antibiotic cream containing 2% Mupirocin ( eg- T.Bact cream) twice a day on the sores. Once the course of oral antibiotic is over, you can use this on and off as and when the sores appear. ( which will become less frequent after the oral antibiotic course) 3. Use a shampoo containing 2% Ketoconazole ( eg- Scalpe) on alternate days. Keep the lather on for 3-5 minutes and then wash it off. This will tackle the dandruff problem. 4. Take B- complex capsules (eg- Becosules-Z) once a day after food for 2 months. 5. Take vitamin C tablets ( eg - Tab. Limcee 500 mg) once a day for 2 months). B- complex and vitamin C will boost your immunity. 6. Your hair fall could be related to dandruff and folliculitis. It could also be hereditary hair fall. If you could upload a clinical picture, I will be able to assess better. ( you have the option of uploading a photograph). You could benefit from taking iral supplements containing Biotin, methionine and cysteine ( eg- Tab. Follihair) once a day after food for 2 months. This problem is chronic and you may notice ovcassional sores popping up. Use the cream as soon as you feel a sore coming up so that it does not spread or become bigger. Hope this helps you. If you any any more queries, I will be glad to assist. Regards, Dr. Johny Chacko