Suggest treatment for chronic pain due to back surgery

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
YES IM A 49 YEAR LD MAN WITH CHRONIC PAIN NEED TOFND PAIN CLINIC FOR MY DISABILITYS LOWER CISECTAMY L-4-5 S1 DISK FUSION. 2 RODS 14 SCREWS IN ARM MY PHYSICIN HAS STOPPED RWRITTEN M PERSCRIPTIOS I GUESS POPLE WERE GETTING PIN MEDS NO REASON PLEASE ADVISE
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 11 hours later
Brief Answer: chronic pain needs more than just painkillers. Detailed Answer: Hello Albertmyers, I have read your history,and being a orthopedic and spine surgeon can feel about your pain and agony. Chronic pain due to back and arm surgery is difficult issue for patient.. I agree that pain can be very frustrating. Let me help you. First i would recommend you to meet a orthopedic surgeon and check if your metal can be removed. Removal of rod and screws will help as some time it is the metal reaction which causes severe pain. You have not mentioned what pain killers you are taking, but my advice is to avoid habit forming drugs like morphine, and try to keep changing medications as their toxic effects are more when same drug is taken for longer time.A psychiatric counselling will also help as some amount of pain can be due to depression or anxiety. Try to develop few recreational habit like join any near by community or go to park daily. I would also want you to keep your mental strength. Let me know if you want to ask any thing else. Take care.