Suggest treatment for chapped hands in children

Jan 2014

My 7 year old grandson has severely chapped hands. what would you recommend we do to help him? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Moisturiser+steroid (mix and apply) Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX Extreme dryness can lead to chapping and cracking of the hands and feet. People who are atopic have inherited low water retentive capacity in there skin which leads to increased trans-epidermal water loss into the atmosphere, specially when the weather is dry and cold in winters. Repeated washing with soaps exacerbates the condition leading to painful cracks and fissures In such a situation it is advisable to apply a good moisturiser as frequently as possible. Moisturizers specially those that contain hygroscopic and keratoloytic agents like ammonium lactate, urea, lactic acid and glycerin and hyaluronic acid are specially useful in these patients. Moisturisers should be applied as frequently as possible, and each time after washing hands with soap. I usually ask my patients who are severely affected by dry, scaly and cracked skin to mix (in equal proportions) a potent steroid like clobetasol cream and mosituriser and apply at least twice daily. One particular brand of moisturiser which I prefer for application on hands and fee, is the one containing ammonium lactate 12% marketed by Ranbaxy in India. I usually ask my patients to mix it with equal quantity of a potent steroid cream and apply it twice daily for 2-4 weeks. Once the condition improves with this combination after 2-4 weeks only moisturisers alone would suffice. hope this answer your query take care regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for chapped hands in children 16 minutes later
Thank you very much. I will pass along to his mother.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: you are welcome Detailed Answer: thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX Regards