Suggest treatment for blisters cause in labia after shaving

So I'm a bit worried. I shaved my labia (where hair grows, the labia majora) and a day later I felt pain on the left side and that night I had tiny red bumps that now look like blisters. When they formed it was extremelyyyy itchy and sore to the touch. I have no burning sensation while urinating and no other symtoms. Can this be folliculitis?
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief definitely looks like folliculitis Detailed answer.... Hello, Thanks for the query. Folliculitis is infection of hair follicles and it is quite  common specially if you have used a old and used blade. In case the problem is mild a topical OTC ointment like BACITRACIN or NEOSPORIN may be used 2-3 times a day. In case the swelling is painful and big ,you would need oral antibiotics and anti inflammatories.In that case you would have to consult your doctor for prescription of antibiotics. A an anti inflammatory,you can take ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day for 3-4 days. Make sure that healing is complete before starting shaving again. Always use new blade for shaving such a sensitive area and it is better to shave after the bath,when skin and hair becomes soft. After the shave,aloe vera may be applied. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for blisters cause in labia after shaving 12 hours later
Thank you doctor. It sometimes happens to me when I shave but not every time. This razor however is a couple months old. I always run it under hot water though before I use it but now I'm just going to use a different one every time. If it was herpes or something wouldn't it spread or go into the labia minora area where it's there are mucous membranes? It just had me so worried. It is still there. Pretty red in the same spot. I've been using neosporin for the last few days.
Hello, It is not herpes. You must always use fresh blade and must move the blade in the direction of hair and not against it. Along with NEOSPORIN ,you may also use hydrocortisone cream for few days to take care if nflammation. There is nothing to worry as it shall resolve soon. Thanks
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for blisters cause in labia after shaving 4 minutes later
I will do that. Thank you for your help Dr. Gupta!
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 21 minutes later
Hello, You are most welcome to ask any query any time. Thanks