Suggest treatment for back pain caused by large hard mass under skin between hip and rib cage

Apr 2014

I have pain in my back on my lower right side. Have had for some time. Last week I detected a large hard mass well under my skin and between my right hip and my rib cage. Seems to have a well rounded surface and is very hard. Nothing like it in the same location on my left side? Thought it might be a bone, but seems to be an inch or two below the rib cage.
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: First you need MRI of lumbar spine. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX You need proper clinical examination and investigations. You may have problems in lumbar spine,so firstly X-ray of lumbar spine in AP/Lateral view should be taken.MRI of lumbar spine should also be done as it can assess nerve involvement.Pain may be due to disc prolapse. Beside this you need routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,RFT,Lipid profile,Ultrasound of abdomen,Urine RE/ME,Serum calcium and Vitamin D level,Thyroid profile.Further investigations can be done if needed. From history it seems that swelling is subcutaneous in position.You need proper clinical examination.There are many causes of swelling.It can be confirmed in X-rays,Ultrasound or CT Scan. FNAC/Biopsy may be needed.Treatment depends upon findings. Back pain can be managed conservatively.Hot compression and physiotherapy helps a lot. Deep ultrasound therapy also helps. There are also other modalities in pain management.It can be discussed with doctor. Surgical intervention depend upon investigation reports. Medicines like pregabalin is helpful in neuropathic pain.You can take this. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX