Suggest treatment for allergic cold during winters

Question
Hi, I often have sneezing / runny nose during cold weather. I feel better after I take a Claritin. Am I allergic towards cold weather ? Is there something I can do about it? Thanks,XXXX
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: A very good observation ma'am Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Your question is a very good one. The allergy is in fact to the season, but not necessarily in relation to the temperature, it could be in relation to the changes in the environment that this particular season. Allergies are quite seasonal, although more often the seasons are summer, spring or autumn with allergens ranging from pollen, dust, to leaves, trees, insects, and so on. In my opinion, if you do not develop an temperature along with these cold or flu-like symptoms, then the cause could very well be an allergy. The solution would be divided into two approaches: 1. Find and recognize the allergen (substance causing the allergy) and avoid it 2. The use of anti-histamine medication (eg. cetrizine, avil, or nasal decongesants like oxymetazoline or xylometazoline) I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications ma'am, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.