Suggest treatment for acne

I'm facing problem of acne (pustule) on my face.Only one acne will pop up and it will then get sore and leave a black spot on skin. Its happening every week , one acne and only on face.I never had any acne problem before.I wash my face regularly and use mild moisturiser on face.
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Acne management Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Welcome to healthcare magic. I understand that you are having a problem with acne on your face and this is of a recent onset. Have you changed your cosmetics like face wash / moisturiser? Is there any change in your diet ( more of fried food or high calorie foods)? Have you been through too much of mental stress? These are some of the factors which could trigger or worsen acne. I suggest you the following- 1. Apply a gel containing clindamycin phosphate ( eg- Clindac A gel) in the morning after bath on the pimple and the surrounding skin.(The surrounding skin will also harbour the bacteria which in turn causes recurrences) 2. Apply a gel containing 2.5% Benzoyl peroxide / Adapelene ( eg- Epiduo gel) at bedtime on the pimple and surrounding area. This may cause mild irritation (redness and burning sensation) in some individuals. If you observe any irritation, keep the gel only for 2 hours in the evening time ( 6 pm to 8 pm) and wash it off before you sleep. Use these 2 gels for 4-6 weeks on the affected areas even if you do not see any new pimples. This will eliminate the bacteria in that area. After 6 weeks, you can use it as and when a new pimple pops up. 3. Use a gel based face wash. 4. Do not use thick creamy moisturisers. This will clog the pores and cause newer breakouts. Use gel based or lotion based non comedogenic moisturisers. 5. Eat a healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables. Drink 8-10 glasses of water per day. Avoid fried foods, high calorie foods (eg- french fries), too much of milk and milk products and foods high in sugar content. 6. Try to keep stress at bay by yoga/ meditation. 7. For the dark spots left behind by acne, you could apply a cream containing 2% kojic acid ( e.g.- Kojic cream ) only on the spot at bedtime for 6 weeks Hope this addresses your concern. If you have any more queries, I will be glad to assist. Regards, Dr. Johny Chacko