Suggest treatment for Partial bowels obstruction after a level fusion on back

General Surgeon
A year and a half ago I had levels fusen on my back they did have too take out my intesins about two months after my abdmin swells up all the time I did have a intestinal blockage hositallised two times for this my arms are all red but if I have and iv for a couple days the swelling goes down and my arms are not red I get this horiable taste in my mouth also after surgery had too go back in the hospital two times for infection
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Partial bowels obstruction. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Your main problem is caused by adhesions which have appeared after the surgery. Please note that every surgery causes adhesions in the abdominal cavity. Some adhesions does not give symptoms at all. But in some cases even a small adhesion can lead to partial bowels obstruction. Adhesion is like a stripe which can narrow the intestine. Partial bowels obstruction give cramping, bloated abdomen, gas blockage, occasional diarrhea. Symptoms can come and go. Every time you get an iv with smooth muscles relaxing medicines, the narrow place passes gas and stool so the symptoms go away. Unfortunately, most likely you will need another surgery. Its because the comfort of living is very important. And it is really hard to live with symptoms you have. That is why I suggest you to visit gastrologist. Abdominal CT with oral contrast (enteroclysis) should be done. Depending of the result, surgery should be considered. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for Partial bowels obstruction after a level fusion on back 2 days later
The Dr. I went to see wants to do a colonoscopy and then look down through my mouth with a camera in my stomach.Ireally don't want that. witch is better.?What you are saying seams safer than what my dr, wants to do.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Well, hard to say not being able to perform physical examination. Generally considering that you have had a surgery, most possible reason of bowels obstruction is small intestine problem. Neither colonoscopy or gastroscopy wont tell anything about small intestine (mentioned CT can do that). But as you are over 50, colonoscopy is a test which should be done to rule out colon cancer (ever person older than 50 should have this test done every 10 years). But in my opinion colonoscopy wont give the answer. But you will have to do it anyways. Gastroscopy seems to be not necessary. Regards.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for Partial bowels obstruction after a level fusion on back 55 minutes later
thank you very much.I was hoping you would say that.Yes the proplem is in the upper part next to my left rib cage.If this Dr wont do what I will move on to another Dr, that will lisen to me. Also this happen after 6-8 months after surgery. Thank You
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: You are welcome. Hope you will get well soon. Regards.