Suggest treatment for Parkinson's Disease

I have been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease (approximately 6 years ago). My neurologist has had me sorting through various medications trying to find a balance that works for me. I either don't get enough of one (carbo-leva dopa) or too much Mirapex. I've tried others meds. But I still have poor gait, imbalance, confusion, all-over muscle jerking. Early on I had serious shaking of my hands, now that has subsided but I have constant movement in my lower limbs EXCEPT when I'm sleeping ( I sleep very soundly, about 7.5 hours a day). I am very frustrated with this constant game of trying to balance meds. I want a second opinion which I have an appointment scheduled in February. Is the second opinion wise? I often worry that I have some other illness manifesting itself but I have no knowledge to make an adequate comparision.
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Haseena Hamdani 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It is Okay. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Health Care Magic, Though I feel that your Diagnosis is fine, as you have seen improvement in limb movements during night, and you are getting proper sleep. Confirm diagnosis of Parkinson,s disease usually is clinical, response to medication, and excluding other causes for your symptoms. There are no laboratory tests to confirm it. Even MRI and CT scan may not show any evidence of it. Other Advanced investigaion, like PET, SPECT, and Olfactory tests we do in few cases , if there are atypical symptoms. This disease is a chronic disease, and there would be constant need of follow up, changes in doses and medicines depending on your symptoms, and side effects. The benefit of getting second opinion is that he or she will see you as a fresh case, and he may advise you something according to his clinical experience which may be helpful to you. If he is satisfied with the management , you will get assurance and satisfaction. Most people of parkinson's disease get frustrated and depressed due to nature of disease. I would also suggest you to join a social group of parkinson's disease sufferer. You may find some inspirational and practical ideas to overcome some of your problems. There is no problem in taking second opinion. Hope you got your answer. You are most welcome for any further question. Dr H Hamdani