Suggest treatment for Epilepsy inspite of taking treatment for Tuberculoma

Nov 2013

hi, 3 week back, when I wokeup in the morning, I could not recognize many things like date, my home design, route to friends place, things in my room and many other small things. I was fine before that day as suggested by my family but that day I didnt know many details of before life itself. I was taking few medicine, Rimactazid 450 mg, mycobutol 1000 mg, pza ciba 1500 mg n pyrodixin. I was taking these tablets for TB infection. Doctor suggested Tuberculoma (TB infection in brain)is a small granuloma which can produce these symptoms and give positive test for TB. Few days later, when I went to bed, my. mother told me that within 5 min, my eyes get locked tightly, blood came out of my mouth along with saliva, I was faint that time. And then after 15 min, I was all right and got up and went upstairs to my room where same action got repeated again. when I woke up in morning, I realized I bite my tongue while sleeping. Neurologist suggested that these are generalized FITS. Conducted Test of EEG and CT scan of head. Reporsts suggested Epilepsy. Suggested tablet- 'vinlep 300'. Due to this, I started having swelling on my face and hand. So doctor changed the tablet to 'keppro 500 mg' along with albid 400 on 28 Feb. On 2nd march , I again got FITS attack and today in the morning it get repeated again. When consulted with doctor, he suggested that medicine will take 1 month to settle down. Take Cholotril 1 Mg 3 days a week.
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Treatment seems to be correct. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted your symptoms and treatment details. It seems to me that you have had fits due to brain infection. The two most common causes of infection causing fits in india are TB (tuberculoma) and tapeworm (neurocysticercosis) infection. Keppra (levetiracetam) is a good drug for controlling fits. It should be used at a dose of 1000 mg two times daily. i hope you are taking correct dose. In addition, medicines for treating the brain infection should also be given. You would get better with treatment. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: