Suggest treatment for Chronic Bells palsy

I am a 75 year old male in 1996 I was misdiagnosis as have had a stroke on the right side it was later that I was told that it may have been bells was not treated for it as the years have gone on when I have told doctors of this it gets brushed a side I still have all the symptoms and the out brakes are more often in cold weather it is bad in air conditioning it comes on has there been any brake through in treatment at my age or any way to lessen the effects that it has on me I am in Australia any advice would be a help thanking you yon
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Haseena Hamdani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Still hoping to have breakthrough management . Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX At present there is not much updates in management for Chronic Bells palsy happened. We have to treat symptomatically. Actually, good result for Bell's palsy comes when treatment is started immediately within 72 hours. Most of the time, it happens due to inflammation, irritation or trauma to Facial nerves. Causes for these could be various, but the most common is Herpes Virus. It could be a part of Stroke also. In most cases causes remain unclear. Some cases, recover by itself within a month or 3 months time. We have to treat according to symptoms also. May be if you can describe, what exactly happens to you, I can better help you. You may be given some magnesium supplements, facial exercises etc. Waiting for your response. You are welcome for any further question. Dr H Hamdani