Suggest treatment for Alcohol addicton

Psychiatrist
Question
HI DR MY SISTER HAS ADDICTION IN DRINKING ALCHOL. WHAT SORT OF HELP CAN I GIVE HER. SHE HAS JUST COME OUT HOSPITAL AND I AM WORRIED THAT SHE MIGHT START DRINKING AGAIN.HI DR, DOES MY SISTER NEED TO TELL US THAT SHE WANTS TO QUIT DRINKING. DR WE CAN'T FORCE HER TO GO TO REHAB IF SHE DOES NOT WANT THAT HELP. MY SISTER KEENS TO LIE AND SAYS SHE WONT DRINK BUT SHE HAS THE ADDICTION. WHAT SORT OF HELP AND ADVICE CAN I GET FOR THIS DR.
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Motivational interviewing Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Its unfortunate that your sister has landed up with alcohol addiction. The problem you are facing is very common and many people have such kinds of problem. For the people coming to my clinic with such sorts of poblem , I ask them to bring their patient to the out patient and deal with them non judgementally. Motivational interviewing is a good way of building up the motivation for the people who are not motivated. I generally start the procedure right from the good things about alcohol so that the patient becomes comfortable. You may take her to some good psychiatrist and demand for motivational interviewing. Along with this if she agrees then she can be started on naltrexone while she is still taking alcohol which will reduce the pleasure even when she is taking alcohol. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.