Suggest treatment for ADHD

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
HELLO DOCTOR MY SON AGED 10YEARS STUDING 4 TH GRADE ICSE BOARD , REPORT FROM SCHOOL (EASILY DISTRACTION,POOR CONCENTRATION) POOR INSTUDIES . HIS IQ IS 89 , EEG NORMAL ,HB 11.4 GM/DL. PLS GIVE HIM ANY MEDICATION OR SUPPLEMENT THAT WOULD HELP HIM. BECAUSE TODAY IS COMPETATIVE WORLD . HE HAS TO STRIVE FOR FUTURE WITHOUT EDUCATION PLS ADVICE FOR FUTHER
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in ADHD

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: get him evaluated by pediatrician. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. The cause for easy distraction, poor concentration and poor performance has to be evaluated for your child. The common causes for poor performance in school and education are impairment in hearing and vision, low IQ, learning disorders, and ADHD. Give him iron rich foods such as green leafy vegetables, food items made of jaggery and a balanced diet to increase hemoglobin further. And get him examined and evaluated by the Pediatrician or a child psychiatrist to look for any problems above described. There is no drug or supplement available to increase the scholastic performance, but if any underlying problem is identified it can be treated accordingly such as behavior therapy and some drugs will help to decrease the distraction, inattention in children with ADHD. Therefore I suggest you to consult the pediatrician for further evaluation. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.