Suggest the dosage of zinc supplements

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015

Question
Dear Sir, This is XXXXXXX 27 year old, i use to go gym to tone body, involves in medium weight lift and i came to know that Mineral ZINC is vitamin to humans which is very tough to get through food, should i opt for ZINC supplements, please suggest me right dosage for every day use
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later
Brief Answer: RDA of Zinc is 11 mg/day for men Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Zinc has been considered as an essential mineral of biological & health importance due to its properties like antioxidant, fastens healing of wounds & improves the immune system of the body. Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) of Zinc is 11 mg/day for men which can be achieved through dietary sources like animal proteins (lamb, chicken), beans, nuts, whole grains, legumes, etc. In case you feel that you are not able to meet your daily zinc requirements through diet, then you can take multivitamin & multimineral supplements like Becosule Z capsules or tablets A to Z, to be taken once daily under the guidance of your Physician. However, make sure that you do not consume it in excess or for prolonged time as excess zinc is harmful & can cause diarrhea, abdominal cramps, vomiting, in-coordination of movements, lethargy and copper deficiency. Hope I have been able to answer your query. Wishing you a good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Suggest the dosage of zinc supplements 1 hour later
Sir could i take the zinc or multivitamin supplements alternate days, is it safe, Should i go with Zincovit Tablets of multivitamin type

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly view the details Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for your follow up query. You can take the supplements in optimum dosages. I usually advise my patients to take Zincovit, one capsule daily. You can take them for 15 days or one month & then discontinue. And as I have already mentioned, avoid taking them in excess or for prolonged period, to prevent unwanted side effects. Wishing you a good health. Please let me know if I need to clarify further. Take care.

Follow-up: Suggest the dosage of zinc supplements 8 hours later
Sir so the maximum intake of supplements should not exceed for one month, can we take ranbaxy revital supplements for prolonged period i mean for years as the company saying

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly view the details Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for your follow up query. First of all, please do not get influenced by the health products or supplements shown in the advertisements. Though supplements like Revital are made of herbal ingredients which are claimed to be free from side effects, but their efficacy and safety on prolonged use has not been scientifically studied. So, it is always better to use any supplement for one month & then discontinue it. If you feel, you can again continue them after a gap of 3-4 months. Take care.