Suggest the cure for split fingernails

I have split fingernails. How do I cure that?
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Clarifications Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. However I would require a couple of more details to help you in answering your query in a better justified way. 1) Any medical illness or any regular medications? 2) Have they been so sincebirth? Hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience. Regards and wish you good health, Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD
Follow-up: Suggest the cure for split fingernails 9 hours later
no illness, glucosamine, vitamin, fish oil. not since birth, started about 5 yrs ago, seems to be getting worse
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Split nails equate as dry nails Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for using health care magic. Split nails suggest that the nails are very dry. First and foremost cut down the nails properly so that nothing stucks to it. Then after cutting them do trim them properly. Avoid excessive water contact, be it in the swimming pool or dish washing or bathing tun. After bathing apply a lot of lotion over the nails as well. Biotin is a drug which can help in this context and you should discuss this issue with your doctor who can provide you a prescription for the same. Remember that the nails take a lot of time to grown and for the nails to improve, its going to take time. Keep taking the above mentioned steps and improvement will be there in a few months. Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy