Suggest suitable remedy for pain and discomfort in lower back

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Hi. I was lifting weights today, working my back, doing bent over rows. As I was completing my exercise, I felt something in my lower back snap. It's on my right side, just above my buttocks. I immediately dropped the weights, as my lower right backside was in pain. can move my back, but it's painful to do so. I don't think anything is broken, but besides feeling the discomfort, I think I feel my lower right back is a little swollen. What can I do to remedy this discomfort? Approximately how many days will I feel this way?
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: It can be a muscular injury. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing your query. After reading your post it seems that you might have got muscular injury while exercising. You should give proper rest to your back. Avoid lifting weights. A MRI of Lumbosacral region is needed to get full idea of the damage. In the meantime you can wear Lumbosacral belt for support. Painkiller like Ibuprofen along with muscle relaxant like Chloroxazone twice a day after meals along with an antacid like Omeprazole will help in controlling the pain. Local application of pain relieving gel after hot fomentation will be helpful. I will also advice you to get yourself clinically examined by an Orthopedic surgeon. I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help. Regards. Thanks.