Suggest remedy for red and painful nipple caused by breasting feeding?

Pediatrician
Question
hi my wife is feeding our daughter her nipple became red and sometimes its painful pls help
Posted Fri, 10 Jan 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later
Brief Answer: relax Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. This happens because of improper latching ot baby to breast. Mosly baby puts only nipple in mouth and it causes soreness if nipple . While feeding make sure baby's mouth is wide open. Part of areola above and below nipple should be in his mouth. Empty one breast completly at one time. In case pain persist you can apply warm compresses to breast . Hope I have answered your query.let me know if there is any further question. God bless...

Follow-up: Suggest remedy for red and painful nipple caused by breasting feeding? 6 hours later
how to give warm compresses

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Thanks for your follow up. Soak a hand towel and dip it in hot water. Squeeze it and apply warm towel over breast. Keep it for 5 minutes.and do it 3 to 4 times. You can also apply some breast milk on your nipple and let it air dry. In case pain is persistant you can take acetaminophen. Hope this helps Take care.

Follow-up: Suggest remedy for red and painful nipple caused by breasting feeding? 9 minutes later
thanks .. one more thing I would like to ask post dilevery through surgery its been more than 4 months still she is having lower back pain on and off pls advice

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax Detailed Answer: Thanks again. It is common after surgery to have low back ache. For this I suggest you to get consultation of orthopedician or physiotherapist. She will need back strengthning exercise for this. In the meantime avoid lifting weight,forward bending. Hope this helps. Wishing your family good health.