Suggest mild quick relief medicines for severe backache caused by strained back muscles?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi Doctors, My father is 61 years of age. Last week he traveled by train for about 3000kms. During the journey he had to lift some heavy luggage. Since the last two days he started complaining about slight back pain. The pain has increased severely since yesterday night. He was not able to sleep last night and was unable to turn on the bed. The pain is at the center of waist and in the back bone. Please suggest some quick relief medicines which are mild and does not have side effects. Regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Strained the muscles of your lower back Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. It appears your father may have strained the muscles of his lower back. I would suggest the following: - Paracetamol and ibuprofen for pain relief - Hot baths or cold packs applied to the area. One or both may help. - Alter sleeping position as if he has having trouble sleeping. - Apply local anti-inflammatory gel 2-3 times a day. - Do not lift weight or try to do exercise that involve painful muscles. Give proper time for the injury to heal. If his symptoms are not getting better with the above measures, I suggest him to consult an orthopaedic surgeon for further evaluation and management. Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern. Wishing you good health... Regards.
Follow-up: Suggest mild quick relief medicines for severe backache caused by strained back muscles? 26 minutes later
I read this answer in one of ur post... pls let me know if I can take these for my father? Pain killers like Diclofenac 50 mg twice a day after meals along with antacid like Omeprazole 20 mg along with muscle relaxant like Tizanidine 2 mg twice a day for 5-7 days will provide some relief. Take medicines under medical supervision only. Hot fomentation and application of local pain relieving gel will be helpful.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Your father can take these medicines. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Your father can take these medicines. But as I had mentioned, give them under medical supervision as these are not the over the counter (OTC) medicines.