Suggest medication to control sugar level?

Need your kind suggestion and medication to control my wife's sugar level.
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Blood sugars are very high. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Your wife is a diabetic over a decade and high blood sugar values are very high. She is an uncontrolled diabetic and prone for diabetic related complications of the eye, heart, nerves and kidneys very early due to persistent hyperglycemia. Her fasting blood sugar should be maintained around 100 mg/dl and postprandial blood sugar below 160 mg/dl. HbA1c test is also recommended once in three months and as to be between 6 to 7 %. Diet, exercise and medications altogether plays an important role in controlling blood sugar. I would advise my patient to follow the below steps for an effective control of blood sugar. Diet: Lower carbohydrate and low fat diet. On an average she may need 1800 cals/day. This will help her to be calorie concise and lose weight. Weight loss will help her reduce insulin resistance and help control her blood sugar. Exercise: Brisk walking for 45 minutes for 5 days a week. Aerobic exercise for healthy cardiac life. Medicines: She is on long acting insulin which will take care of the basal insulin requirement. Discuss with her doctor for an ultra short acting insulin before every meal to control post meal hyperglycemia. Adding Voglibose with every meal will help reduce absorption of carbohydrates from diet. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if there is any clarification. Regards.
Follow-up: Suggest medication to control sugar level? 16 hours later
Dear Dr. Ahamed, Thanks for your reply. My wife was under Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX since last 4 months. During his advise and observation, my wife was taken Novomix 30 : Before breakfast 24 units and 26 units before Dinner; Janumet (50/500) : 1 tab twice daily - half an hour before Breakfast and Dinner. Still Sugar controlled. Then, one month back gone through to Dr. B. XXXXXXX and he advised Lantas : 26 units before Dinner and Janumet (50/500) : 1 tab before Breakfast. Now, I am very much confused and need your help. Sorry, to mention that my wife going for morning walk everyday for an hour and didn't take rice, sweets ..... maintaining diabetic diet. Could you help further, please. Regards, Anindya Chakrabarty
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Increase the dose of insulin. Detailed Answer: Hello, Your wife is on diet, exercise and medicines. But blood sugars are not going under control. My advice would be to increase the dosage of insulin based on the blood sugar levels. Add regular insulin(Rapid acting) before every meal to bring down the postprandial blood sugar. Regards.
Follow-up: Suggest medication to control sugar level? 2 hours later
Dear Dr. Ahamed, Thanks for your kind guidelines ......... Could you please let us know name of Rapid acting Insulin ........ so that, I can discuss my Doctor while going for consulting. Further, is there any other medicine required alongwith rapid acting Insulin. Regards, XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Humulin or Novolin Detailed Answer: Hello, Regular insulins are available in the brand name of Humulin or Novolin. Voglibose can be added with every meal. It will help in reducing the absorption of carbohydrates(Sugars) from the intestine and reduce post meal blood sugar. Regards.