Suggest medication for acne treatment

Jan 2014

I am having pimples on face from last few years. I am using ACNE AID soap and Cling guard gel tube. But I am not getting ridbof these pimples. So please suggest me medicines?
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Topical(Antibacterial+Retinoids)+Oral Antibiotics Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX You seem to be suffering from moderate grade of Acne (papules and pustues). Acne is common among young people. Almost all cases of Acne can be ultimately cured with proper medication and follow up. General measures: -Use a mild cleanser like cetaphil twice daily instead of using a soap because soaps dry out the skin which in turn creates rebound oiliness. In addition soaps can cause excessive discomforting dryness specially if you are also using topical anti-acne medicines simultaneously. -Avoid all the regular use creams, moisturizers, sunscreens that you may be using for the time being till you are on anti-acne treatment. -Avoid taking facials. -Avoid picking your acne. -Use an Anti-dandruff shampoo since acne is worsened by dandruff. Specific treatment: -Oral Antibiotics: For inflammatory acne(papules and pustules) i advice my patients to start with one of the oral antibiotics like Azithromycin/ Doxycycline/ Minocycline. -Topical treatment: Is a valuable adjunct to any form of acne treatment. Mainly two classes of drugs are used topically 1)Topical Antibacterials: Dermatologists around the world prescribe topical gels/creams containing topical antibiotics like either clindamycin 1%, benzoyl peroxide 2.5% OR Nadifloxacin during the day time. Since you are already using clingard gel which is clindamycin, i would advice that you continue day time application with it. 2)Topical Retinoids: Either Adapalene 0.1%/ Tretinoin 0.025% OR Azaleic acid (10%/20%) at bed time. Topical treatment has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory effect and normally show noticeable improvement by 2-4 weeks. Hope this information helps you. I would advice that you visit a dermatologist and get a prescription out of these medicines. I am here to help you for any further clarifications take care regards