Suggest me alternative drug of Januvia

I am looking for an alternative drug to Januvia since it is so expensive. Dose is 100 mg daily. I am also looking for an alternative drug to Avandamet Tab 4-1000 taken twice a day as well as an alternative to Avodart Cap 0.5mg daily. These last two drugs are also extremely expensive. The reason for my inquiry is that I am 67 years old and I will be losing my group coverage soon. I am a type 2 diabetic and take Glimepiride TAB 4mg twice per day. This drug is a generic and relatively cheap. All of the Part D plans that I have looked in to will not cover Januvia, Avandamet, and Avodart or if they do, they pay only a very small amount. Your help is very much needed at this time!!!! Thank you!! (Total cost for the drugs I need is over $700.00 per month)
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Following alternatives to the requested drugs... Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for sharing your concern with HCM. I will try to help find out the drugs you need! Januvia is the trade name for Sitagliptin which is of DPP-4 inhibitor (dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor) drug group. There are other drugs being part of this group including: - Saxagliptin (Onglyza) - Linagliptin (Trajenta) Avandamet is a combination of Metformin (1000mg) + Rosiglitazone(4mg). To my opinion, you can ask a combination of Metformin + Vildagliptin to get the desired effects (controlled blood sugar levels). Avodart cap contains the active ingredient Dutasteride 0.5 mg. It belongs to the 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors drug class. Other trade names for Avodart include Finasteride is another drug belonging to this group which you might find under the trade name of Proscar, Propecia. You can discuss with your doctor about these other alternatives to decide for the best that fits your case (depending on the test results too). Hope it was of help! Dr.Albana