Suggest me a good day and night cream to reduce the uneven skin tone and maintain a healthy skin even if it has freckles

Dermatologist
Question
I am 29yrs old female with combination skin. I am fair and have freckles on nose and cheeks in a butterfly pattern which makes my skin tone very uneven. I have tried hydroquinone and kojic acid creams and cosmetics for treating uneven skintone but I have heard that hydroquinone is unsafe for long term use and kojic acid lightens surrounding skin too not just freckles which i experienced and did not like.Please suggest me a good day and night cream to reduce the uneven skin tone and maintain a healthy skin even if it has freckles. Also i would like to know if glycolic acid is safe for longterm use.
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Uneven skin tone Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same . Your problem is that of an uneven skin complexion along with freckles. Now the skin creams that you have been using till now are very good lightening agents and are widely used by dermatologists all over. But you are correct that hydroquinone should not be used for long periods of time over the face. Kojic acid on the other hand is a safer and mild lightening agent which can be used for as long as required. Now talking about the alternatives in your case, you can use agents like glycolic acid or azelaic acid. Glycolic acid cream is available as a six percent cream which can be applied either only over the pigmented areas or all over the face to get a uniform lightening over the face. It is a good agent and causes mild exfoliation of the upper skin layers and leads to a clearer skin complexion . But you should take care to apply it only at night and it should not be rubbed too much. You can alternate it with azelaic acid 10 percent cream at night which can be applied in similar manner. Both of these agents are safe for long term use but you can always give your skin a has of a month after using these agents for six to eight weeks. This helps in preventing development of any resistance to these agents. Since your skin is prone to development of freckles , it is very important that you use a good sunscreen with a spf of atleast 26 regularly over your face before going out in the sun. Apply it atleast thirty minutes before sun exposure .Reapply it every three to four hours if you stay out in the sun. Also you can take oral vitamin c tablets once a day . This will further help in improving the skin. Eat lots of fresh fruits and salads. Drink plenty of fluids . Hope it helps Please ask if you need any further clarifications Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: Suggest me a good day and night cream to reduce the uneven skin tone and maintain a healthy skin even if it has freckles 18 minutes later
Thank you for your reply dr..Could you please guide me with the brand names of the sunscreen and the glycolic acid and azelaic acid creams you mentioned...Also can kojic acid be used all over the face?

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Skin pigmentation , recommended creams Detailed Answer: Hi again You can use glyco 6 cream along with aziderm 10 cream. Suncros sunscreen or Neutrogena dry touch spf 50 sunscreen will be good for you. As far as the use of kojic acid cream is concerned, it should ideally be applied only over the pigmented areas. It is used all over the face only in cases of generalised face pigmentation or skin tanning . Hope it helps Please ask if you need any further clarifications Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: Suggest me a good day and night cream to reduce the uneven skin tone and maintain a healthy skin even if it has freckles 2 hours later
Thank you dr..will use the above.Could you tell me if the above creams should be used before a moisturizer/after the moisturizer or in place of the moisturizer at night? Also could you please suggest a good moisturizer and face wash that would suit my skin type..

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Skin care products Detailed Answer: Hi again You can first moisturize your skin at night. Following this you can apply the creams over the affected areas, making sure not to rub them too much. You can use any moisturizers and face wash but if you specifically want a medicated one, I would suggest you to use cetaphil face cleanser and lotion. Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: Suggest me a good day and night cream to reduce the uneven skin tone and maintain a healthy skin even if it has freckles 23 hours later
Thank you dr..Should I use azelaic acid and glycolic acid on alternate days for a month and then for the next month just moisturizer or should I use them in alternate months i.e 1month azelaic acid at night and one month glycolic acid..

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Application of the medicine on alternate nights Detailed Answer: Hi again You can use both of these creams on alternate nights. This means that you can apply glycolic acid cream on one night and then use azelaic acid cream on the next night. You should regularly use the moisturising lotion every night. You can continue their application as long as required. But apply only a little amount of each of these making sure not to rub them too much. Dr Geetika Paul