Suggest good remdy to avoid Dry Skin

Any good suggestion to avoid Dry Skin . I don't believe on any ointment . Nothing is working for me
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Lifestyle measures... Detailed Answer: Hi, Unfortunately dry skin is a chronic condition and therefore changes and measures should be applied for long time for better results. I would rather say, measures are to be followed for life time. I understand you don't believe ointment. Few people do not believe them too not because they are not effective, it is due to the fact that they reduce dry skin symptoms but doesn't treat it. In fact all other remedies also don't treat the condition. So continue using skin moisturizer during acute episodes, if you don't have any problems with using it. Besides moisturizer, I recommend my patients the following measures: 1. Avoid hot water baths. Increased surface temperature robs away essential moisture resulting in dryness. If you need to use hot water for bathing, apply good moisturizer or natural oils immediately (within 2 minutes) after bath. 2. Avoid harsh soaps. A mild soap or better non soapy skin cleansers to be used for cleaning and washing purpose. 3. Keep yourself well hydrated. Drink lots of water to improve body and skin hydration. 4. Avoid sun exposure. Use sun screens if needed. 5. Protect yourself very well with multilayered clothing or winter wears. 6. Diet rich in omega fatty acids such as seafood, almonds and nuts have significant role in preventing dryness. Include them in your diet. I would suggest you to try these life style changes along with skin moisturizers to deal with dry skin. Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: Suggest good remdy to avoid Dry Skin 7 minutes later
Hi Doctor , I really appreciate you time and suggession . For bathing i use Dive soap . shall i continues the same or should change it . If yes to which one ? . How much amount of water should be advicible when one have a very dry skin . Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prasad 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Continue Dove... Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX You can look for Dove cream soap which can be beneficial. Alternatively you have plenty of non soapy cleansing solution like clean and clear which can be used. For best result use skin moisturizers after dabbing the skin (not wiping completely). Moisturizer will retain the extra amount of water to the skin and produces good non dry skin. Water intake should be sufficient. I would call one and half liter water a day as sufficient. Hope this answers your questions. If you have no more questions, please close this discussion. Regards