Suggest diet for diabetes, on insulin shots with a history of appendectomy

General Surgeon
Recently diagnosed with diabetes, on insulin shots, history of apendixectomy 2 months ago, wound not healing,still open. Want to know how to speed healing of my wound and specific diet for me,foods,daily menu.
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. There is no specific diet after appendectomy. The only reason you should have any diet is diabetes. You should avoid high amounts of carbohydrates in the diet. White meat should be eaten instead of red meat. Fiber rich, whole grain products are also very important. You should be learned how to count glycemic index. Please follow this link for more diabetes diet information: WWW.WWWW.WW uk/upload/9831%20Eating%20Well%20Type%202.pdf Appendectomy wound is sometimes hard to heal because appendix is usually infected by some bad bacteria and when removing it, this bacteria infect the wound. If the wound has not been closed in first days after a surgery, it can not be closed quickly and it takes even months to completely close it. If there is any discharge from the wound, and it is still infected, swab test should be done and proper antibiotic prescribed. If the wound is clear, nothing more you can do t accelerate healing. Please attach the wound photo if possible so I can give more accurate answer. Hope this will help.Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: Suggest diet for diabetes, on insulin shots with a history of appendectomy 2 days later
Thank you Dr.Stanko, Drs has done the culture and they said is pyocianeus infection. I is 2 months my wound is not closing. I squeeze, only yellowish liquid comes out. I apply insulin in the wound, drs suggested, can it help me? One of my friend said I can apply honey together with insulin? can I do that?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Insulin applying in the wound is not a good idea. It rather does not help with healing. You should rather focus on maintaining good glucose level in the blood stream. Generally most of the substances applied into the wound will prolong healing time. The best you can do is to wash it with Octaniline agent. You may also consider vac-therapy if the wound is producing some discharge. Hope this will help. Regards.