Suggest best milk to consume for pregnant women?

Mar 2016

Hi Doctor,

Can pergency woman to drink fully fat milk i.e Fat 6.0% and SNF 9.0%? Can you help me in this regard. or do you have any other best milk for pregancy woman.

Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Pregnant woman should not take whole milk or fully fat milk. It is better to drink fat free or low fat (1%) / skim milk during pregnancy period.

Whole milk contains saturated fat. It is not heart healthy or best for overall health for growing baby and mother. In some case, it may create digestion problem along with other milk products. Some experiences lactose intolerance with bloating, cramp, diarrhea etc.

To get adequate calcium, she can take 8 oz (250 ml) skim milk three times daily along with other calcium XXXXXXX food stuffs like yogurt, cheese, almonds, spinach, XXXXXXX oranges, whole grain foods etc. Soy milk is alternative to cow milk and you can opt any one of them which has added calcium.

She can consume mono & poly unsaturated fats (omega-3 fatty acids) during pregnancy. They are found in a variety of foods and oils like salmon fish, tilapia, olive oil, nuts, butter nut, avocados etc. Vitamin supplements with DHA can be taken additionally to XXXXXXX daily requirement.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish her good health & successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen.