Suggest appropriate treatment for pneumonia

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My son,37 yrs., has "small amount of pneumonia" per 2 trips to E.R. He is very active, does hard physical labor (welder, repair on Caterpillar vehicles) but now has been down for a week. Was very dehydrated (I.V.s at E.R.), nauseous (promethazine from E.R. Dr.) still coughing and on last day of Z pack. His brother and sister, both adults, also have been diagnosed with either bronchitis or pneumonia. Does it sound like we are on appropriate treatment. What should our next step be. Thank you so much.
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 2 hours later
Brief Answer: If no improvement, should change therapy.... Detailed Answer: Hi, Bronchitis/pneumonia are often associated or considered as common complications of viral infections. Z pack is one of the treatments for pneumonia. However, all of them, your son and his sister and brother should be physically examined (including lung auscultation) to determine if Z pack is working. As long as they are feeling better, it might be considered as a good sign. In case of no improvement, then, should change therapy and continue with another antibiotic. I also advise to ask them to: - drink more liquids (water, tea, juices) to replace fluids - take otc o.r.s to replace fluids and probiotics to optimize the intestinal flora after antibiotic use - take good care of oral hygiene - do frequent gargles with water and salt - keep the room air well humidified - consider doing aerosol therapy Once again, if no improvement, should re-consider to change therapy. Wish fast recovery to your children! Dr.Sonila