Sugges treatment for soft tissue injury

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I injured the knuckle of my middle finger (large knuckle at palm) a couple of days ago. It immediately ballooned up and later turned red, then blue. Now the top of my hand is purple/black and I just noticed a numbness along the top side of the injured finger. The skin over the middle knuckle is purple. What is up? Do I need to see MD?
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Might be soft tissue injury or fracture. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. It might be soft tissue injury or fracture. The Acute management of this condition is as follows - * Rest to the local part - by avoiding any further movements that puts strain over the MCP joint. * Ice packing - to instantly reduce the pain & swelling. Cold compressions should be kept for atleast 15 minutes and should be repeated every 2 hours. I think the above measures will temporarily take care of your symptoms. Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care