Suffering with Lyme disease, pulmonary hypertension, got exposed to one with active MRSA. In danger?

I have Lyme Disease and Pulmonary Hypertension. Two biggies! Yesterday I was exposed to (and hugged by) someone who has active MRSA. What kind of danger am I in?
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 5 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with training and certification in cardiology. I read your mail with diligence. Coming to your legitimate concern about coming in direct contact with someone with someone with MRSA. The term is acronym for Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is a bacterium responsible for several difficult-to-treat infections in humans).MRSA is especially troublesome in hospitals, prisons and nursing homes, where patients with open wounds, invasive devices, and weakened immune systems are at greater risk of infection than the general public that too when exposure has been limited to a hug! I hope your fried has a big one to take a phrase from you and I am happy that patient is taking treatment and on road to recovery, as I infer from your mail.
As you are not someone with weakened immune system so nothing to worry. You can gently hug again! The basis of spread of illness is your skin should not come In contact with the saliva any other secretions which also include skin sweat after exertion and perspiration.,
Let us come to two big ones you have. I am sure you would have read about Lyme disease is the most common tick-borne illness in North XXXXXXX and Europe. Lyme disease is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi. Deer ticks, which feed on the blood of animals and humans, can harbor the bacteria and spread it when feeding.

You're more likely to get Lyme disease if you live or spend time in grassy and heavily wooded areas where ticks carrying the disease thrive. It's important to take common-sense precautions in areas where Lyme disease is prevalent.

If you're treated with appropriate antibiotics in the early stages of the disease, you're likely to recover completely. In later stages, response to treatment may be slower, but the majority of people with Lyme disease recover completely with appropriate treatment.
Coming to your second problem what puzzles me what cause your doctors have told that you have which has led to pulmonary hypertension. If you can send me more details I may be able to explain. In brief description of PAH which I have borrowed from a text book. I quote:
Pulmonary hypertension is a type of high blood pressure that affects the arteries in the lungs and the right side of your heart.
Pulmonary hypertenstion begins when tiny arteries in your lungs, called pulmonary arteries, and capillaries become narrowed, blocked or destroyed. This makes it harder for blood to flow through your lungs, and raises pressure within your lungs' arteries. As the pressure builds, your heart's lower right chamber (right ventricle) must work harder to pump blood through your lungs, eventually causing your heart muscle to weaken and eventually fail.
Pulmonary hypertension is a serious illness for which treatments are available that can help lessen symptoms and improve your quality of life.” End of quote.
If you have any further query I will be most happy to answer. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover
MD (Medicine) DM (Cardiology)