Suffering fromLoss of appetite, discharge from eyes. Have Acute myeloid leukemia. Taking hydroxyurea. Will leukemic cells attack heart and brain muscles?

In Acute Myeloid Leukemia, can the leukemic cells attack the heart muscle? I've read that they attack various parts of the body.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Blood Disorders
Follow-up: Suffering fromLoss of appetite, discharge from eyes. Have Acute myeloid leukemia. Taking hydroxyurea. Will leukemic cells attack heart and brain muscles? 1 hour later
Things that have happened recently..... thick, dark yellowish grainy substance came from the corners of the eyes.

thick, scab-like flesh-colored "growths" formed on top of scalp.

Loss of appetite for last 6 weeks.

Acute myeloid leukemia diagnosed after 11 years of polycythemia vera, and hydroxyurea prescribed for 10 years.

My question: Can those white leukemic cells attack the heart muscle and the brain?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations.

Acute myeloid leukemia can be a very rapidly progressive illness. in the process of rapid division the leukemia cells can invade many different parts of the body. It is not necessarily that the cells are attacking the body but they are so numerous that they start to infiltrate different parts of the body.

These leukemic cells can infiltrate the skin as well as joints as well as the central nervous system through the spinal fluid. It is conceivable that the leukemic cells could also infiltrate the heart muscle. again these cells do not necessarily attack the body but they do infiltrate these areas which can cause dysfunction.

Acute myeloid leukemia is a very difficult disease to treat. Generally this involves high-dose chemotherapy. In a patient who is above the age of 80 the oncologist may recommend a more gentle therapeutic option. Chemotherapy can be very debilitating and does put a patient at significant risk for the development of serious infections.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I can appreciate your dealing with a very stressful situation. If there are any additional concerns you would like to discuss I would be happy to address them here.

Dr. Robert