Ask a Urologist   »  

Suffering from urinary retention. Had TURP and been catheterized. How soon will be able to urinate?

Sep 2013

I am suffering from urinary retention, had a TURP October 30 and have been catheratized since then. How long am I likely to have this problem, i.e., how soon will I be able to urinate? (I am 71, otherwise in good health, with satisfactory check-ups with doctors -- had an operation for deviated septum October 2.)
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Catheterisazation. Detailed Answer: Hello,XXXXX. Thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum. Normally after TURP (prostate surgery) they catheterized patient for 10-15 days . Now they will remove it at anytime (catheter) and you will pass urine normally. For good wound healing , this was necessary ( catheterization). Deviated septum surgery is nothing to do with this. Hope this information will help.Further any question ask in follow up. Good luck Dr.HET