Suffering from throat infection. Taking Augementin. Doing gargle. Suggest medication?

hello sir/mam,
my sister is suffering from a throat infection for past 5 days. For past 3 days she is taking Augmantin 625 mg antibiotic twice a day. But still infection is there, she can not speak properly because of throat irritation. Her age is 23 years. Also she is doing galrgals with hot water.
Can you please suggest some medicines she can take for this throat infection.
She is in hostel so no proper medical facilities.

Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
symptomatic treatment is required

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry about your sister's current health status.

Let me tell you that Augmentin 625mg is a very effective drug for throat infection. Please ask her to complete a 6 days course of the same.

Instead of doing gargling with plain hot water, she can try gargling with Betadine mouth gargle. This will kill bacteria in the throat, if any.

Please ask her to give complete voice rest for a couple of days. Also, she must consume bland, semi-solid or liquid diet to help in faster healing.

She can also take Tablet Cetrizine 10mg at bed time for 3 days to take care of the allergy and irritation in the throat.

Let she take lukewarm water to drink. Do not worry; she would be fine soon.