Suffering from sore and painful breast. Feeling numb around the axillary region. What is going on?

Hi, I'm 48 yrs. old female.My left breast feels sore and sometimes painful--more at the base of the breast, lateral side for more than a month now ( after I did a marathon) -that rarely go away. About a week now am feeling slight numb around the axillary region,left side. Any explanation what might these symptoms are? I drink about 64 oz. of water everyday.Need help.Thanks.
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 1 hour later

You said that your breast feels sore and sometimes painful more at the base of the breast and lateral side and also slight numb around the left axillary region
This description probably suits for mastitis or breast abscess
You need to let me aware me of the following queries:
1. Is there any discharge from your affected breast's nipple?
2. Is there any history of fever during this illness?
Sometimes inflammatory breast carcinoma may present like this. usually breast cancer does not present with pain and sore except one variety i.e. inflammatory breast carcinoma...pain and sore is indicative of probability more in favour of mastitis and breast that case u have to start antibiotics specially against linezolid may be an appropriate choice along with hot compression.
Axillary numbness may occur by nerve compression by the enlarging abscess on the medial wall of axilla
if not improving by antibiotics then surgical drainage of pus may be required.
You may undergo Ultrasonography of the breasts to look for abscess. It is good to get an annual mammography at this age.
With all the above conditions you need a consult with proper surgeon / breast physician.

Hope i have answered your queries & wish u good health
Follow-up: Suffering from sore and painful breast. Feeling numb around the axillary region. What is going on? 16 hours later
no fever since I experience the soreness. No any discharge form the nipple, no stippling .All around is normal the breast and nipple is normal.However, 6 years ago, my mammogram showed a "cyst" at the base of the breast and now is gone and move around the lateral side.The numbness of the lateral is gone,as of this writing.Thank you for your utmost reply.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 20 hours later

It's good to know that the symptoms are fading away.

In the absence of associated clinical symptoms, it does appear to be a sinister problem. You may repeat mammography to know the exact location of the cyst or any change within the cyst. Ultrasonography and Fine Needle Aspiration are entailed. Further mammography needs to be repeated annually.

You can try local warm compresses and over the counter analgesics like ibuprofen twice a day for a few days I think should take care of the pain.

Thanks again for writing on XXXXXXX Feel free to write back if you have any more inquiries.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Suffering from sore and painful breast. Feeling numb around the axillary region. What is going on? 28 hours later
Hi Dr.
I have been taking Ibuprofren 16 mg/day and warm compress,since Friday. I feel "normal" that is no soreness.And I went for exercise today Saturday and I feel the pain and soreness but on a lesser degree,also I continued the anti-inflammatory med. of Ibuprofren with hot compress. I made an appointment for mammogrpahy and appt. with my ob. Thank you for your utmost reply.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 15 hours later

I am pleased to know you are feeling better now. Do continue ibuprofen along with warm compress as your doing now.

Mammography will give us more clues as to what is happening within and you've taken the right decision to see your doctor. If everything is ok, then I will suggest you make regular annual mammography and follow up with your doctor.

I will be available on XXXXXXX if you wish to contact me in future. You may contact me on this link: WWW.WWWW.WW
Thanks once again,

Wish you good health and fast recovery,

Dr. Arnab Maji