Suffering from shortness of breath, cough and wheezing problem. Not cured by antibiotic. Safe remedy?

Jun 2015

I have been suffering from shortness of breath, with cough and wheezing. It started about 8 weeks ago, I have had 3 different types of antibiotics, although the shtness of breath has decreased a lot, I still XXXXXXX t feel right, I have tightness of the chest and less power in the lungs.When I blew into a peek flow meter I only registered a third of the predicted reading. I have been swimming and a walking on the treadmill without getting short of breath.
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 29 minutes later

Wheezing is caused due to broncho-constriction (obstruction of smaller airway passages) which is indicative of Hyper-responsiveness of air passages (seasonal allergy or asthma)

Management consists of:

1. Inhaler (containing a short acting bronchodilator & cortico steroid) - provide symptomatic relief by causing broncho-dilation (dilating the smaller airway passages, relieving the obstruction & increasing airflow to lungs)
So, it can be used during an acute attack.

2. Montelukast preparations- used as a maintenance therapy to relieve symptoms of seasonal allergies & asthma.

3. Antihistamines can also be used to provide symptomatic relief.

4. Protection from exposure to cold, dust or other allergens.

Investigations like X XXXXXXX of the chest will be helpful in detecting any pathology in the respiratory tract & lungs.

Peak flow meter helps in Lung function test.
Any decrement in the values suggest towards Obstructive lung diseases.
And this test has to be repeated after administration of a broncho-dilator to know whether the obstruction is reversible or not.

Kindly XXXXXXX your treating physician & discuss regarding this matter.
So that appropriate management steps could be taken.

Wishing you a Good Health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.
Follow-up: Suffering from shortness of breath, cough and wheezing problem. Not cured by antibiotic. Safe remedy? 23 minutes later
Thank you Dr polash, I have been using Fostair for last 2 weeks and also have Ventolin inhaler if required ( have not used it for last 7 days). My GP is not sure if I have asthma or COPD so have been referred to specalist for diagnosis. I have had chest x-rays which are clear and also blood tests which are clear. My apointment is in 2 weeks (02April), what questions should I ask? I have not had wheezing for 2 weeks.
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 11 hours later

Thanks for your follow up query.

Clear lung fields on the chest X XXXXXXX reduces the possibility of COPD
However, it can be asthma as in this case, findings will be present only during an acute attack.
Otherwise it would not be detected on X XXXXXXX

Also wheezing will be present only when the airway passages come in contact with the agent to which it is hyper-responsive.

So, when you XXXXXXX your specialist, tell him your symptoms in details & show him the X XXXXXXX and investigation reports.
As I have already mentioned in my previous answer, it will be better to discuss about the Pulmonary function tests & to repeat them after administration of a broncho-dilator.
It will detect whether the obstruction is reversible or not & help in formulating a management plan accordingly.

Hope I have been able to answer your queries.

Please let me know if you have any further query.

Dr. Polash Sannigrahi