Suffering from severe back pain. ESR - 97, Hb- 12.5, CRP negative. What am I suffering from?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
ESR - 97, Hb- 12.5, CRP is negative, while the rest are well within the range.. I suffer severe back pain that even makes the movement of my head stiff.. What could be the reason or disease I am suffering?
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

You might be suffering from seronegative spondyloarthopathy like ankylosing spondylitis which is a chronic inflammatory rheumatic disease.

T o allow me to help you better please let me know if you also have any of these symptoms:-
* Morning stiffness greater than 30 minutes.
* Back pain at night.
* Pain and stiffness relived by exercise.
* Pain radiating to thigh/ leg.
* Any kind of loss of sensation and tingling in legs.
* Weakness in legs.
* Any redness in eye.

Once I have these answers, we would be able to discuss the treatment better.

Waiting for your reply.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from severe back pain. ESR - 97, Hb- 12.5, CRP negative. What am I suffering from? 1 hour later
Sir my back pains all the time and it is getting intense everyday.. I have redness in one eye not always but this redness has been long before this pain started.. Redness is not permanent but it comes and goes... I dont feel numbness in my legs.. and I have not tried exercise yet since I am an HR head I dont get time.. Is it serious? I searched on net and I found some of the symptoms like back pain, low Hb similar to a cancer kind of disease and that what worried me a lot..About the redness in eye sir I thought over it and found that I think it started at the same time with the pain... And my joints sometimes get affected too.. Knee and Elbow.. nothing more sir.. It has been approx two years I have been under this diseases' effects...

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 24 hours later

Thanks for writing in again.

Your symptoms go in favour of Ankylosing spondylitis.

So get examined by an orthopaedician.

You also require x-ray of spine and pelvis and blood investigation like HLAB27 to reach the diagnosis.

Meanwhile you have to do regular exercise, taking anti-inflammatory drug like ibuprofen to control pain and inflammation and be active as possible.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from severe back pain. ESR - 97, Hb- 12.5, CRP negative. What am I suffering from? 10 hours later
Thank You very much sir... I will follow the guidelines for sure ... thank you again..

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing back.

I am glad to know I could address your concerns.

If you have no more questions, please close this discussion, rate the answer and give your review.