Suffering from seborrhea scalp. Suggest treatment

hello doctor!! i have been suffering from seborrhoea scalp since 1-2 yrs..i have used Nizoral/Ketoconazole lotion 1% for 4-5 months..i didnt get any relief and lately i am suffering moderate hair loss..i want to know the cause and the treatment for the same..thank you..
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 2 hours later
Brief Answer: cause is due to hormones. Change of lotion wl help Detailed Answer: Hi thanks for writing here. Seborrhea is due to excseeive sebum production.This is related to hormones. Male hormones increased during puberty leading to oiliness of scalp.This can in turn lead to growth of fungus causing dandruff. Dandruff is responsible for itching and hairloss. Ketoconazole shampoo is used as a first line treatment for dandruff. However 1% is not effective.You can switch over to 2% lotion. In case there is still no response to it you can go for a combination of clotrimazole and selenium sulfide.This will clear fungus effectively and will decrease oiliness.Hair loss will recover once dandruff is cleared. There will be more hair loss after starting shampoo.This will cover up with time. You need to continue shampoo even if there is no oiliness as this will prevent recurrance. Hope this will help you.Take care.
Follow-up: Suffering from seborrhea scalp. Suggest treatment 48 hours later
Thanx a Lot Doctor !! A sincere request to you Would it be possible for you to write a detailed prescription for me.. Thank You.
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 16 hours later
Brief Answer: candid tv suspension will work. Detailed Answer: Hello thanks for follow up.Many antifungal lotions are available in market.I usually prescribe candid tv suspension to my patients.It contains clotrimazole and selenium sulfide.Use it twice weekly and continue even if there is no dandruff.Let me know about your improvement by a month.Take care.