Suffering from reoccurring neck pain. How to reduce this pain?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I get neck pain towards the later part of the day on a few days. It is a recurring problem which surfaces in a few weeks & subsides in a few weeks. Can you advice me on reducing this pain?
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 50 minutes later

Your neck pain seems most probably due to cervical strain (muscular tightness in both the neck and upper back) or cervical spondylosis. X-ray of the neck can be useful.

The best possible treatment over cervical back pain is to exercise and increase the overall strength of back and neck muscles. As the strength of back and neck increases, its helps in reduction of cervical back pain.

There is no need to panic about cervical back pain situations. Please consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance to rule out any bony pathology.

You can also take Acetaminophen, narcotics or muscle relaxants for reducing pain and spasm after consulting with your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health...