Suffering from reoccurring fever. What are the tests to be done and the cause?

My mother is suffering from fever which used to come back after every 30 days for the last 1 year, but recently it is coming back after 7 - 10 days. Can u please suggest me some investigations and what might be the reason ?
Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 43 minutes later

This type of fever can been seen in varieties of the condition commonly enteric fever, malaria, Occult infection in any part of the body, tuberculosis etc.

But there are some rare causes like occult malignancy in any body part, collagen vascular disease, brucellosis etc.

So you need to do a chain of tests to exclude them and reach at a proper conclusion.

The tests to be performed are-complete blood count, C reactive protein, ASO titre, RA factor, blood for malarial dual antigen, Chest X XXXXXXX urine for routine examination, widal test, liver function test, thyroid function test, anti-ds DNA, Ultrasound of the whole abdomen.

Remember one thing this I mention this long lists of test for covering all probable diseases that lead to this kind of fever. You need not to do the entire test in one day.

The best things for you to consult with your physician, He will surely take proper history and do her physical examination. After that he can reach to some provisional diagnosis and based on this you do the investigation which he will suggest and follow his opinion for further management.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.

Wish you good health.

Dr Sourav Ganguly
Follow-up: Suffering from reoccurring fever. What are the tests to be done and the cause? 1 hour later
All the above mentioned tests have been done and the results for those are within normal limits. Please think something out of the box, as normal diagnosis have been done by some of the renowned doctors of Kolkata & moreover the fever is persisting for the last 1 year. Can PFAPA be a possible reason ?
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 28 hours later
PFAPA (Periodic fever, aphthous stomatitis, pharyngitis and adenitis) is commonly seen in children and fever in not only the symptoms of PFAPA.
So, I don’t think this is a case of PFAPA.
I would like to tell you that this kind of fever is commonly seen in Tuberculosis, collagen vascular diseases or occult neoplasm and as the fever is for last 1 year so without clinically examined the patient it would very difficult to predict the cause.
Would you mind to please attach the tests reports already done and briefly describe the treatment history then I will try to help you more.
Waiting for your reply.
Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly