Suffering from polio. Worsened due to aging. Is there any surgery?

Hi, My Mother-in-law is 60 years old. In her childhood she is attacked with Polio for both the legs, but one leg is much better than the other. Now her situation is turning worst, she is unable to walk even to toilet. I am looking for some cure/ surgery if possible, so that atleast in near future, she can be comfortable. I am ready to spend how much is the expense. Except that she has no other problems, perfectly healthy. Some doctor please advice.
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 24 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

I am sorry that your mother in law is facing such a distress.

Your mother in law had polio in the past and it is getting worsened now may be due to Osteoporosis, osteomalacia in the bones or osteoarthritis changes in other joints.

Give her high dose of calcium with vitamin A and vitamin D after consulting her treating doctor.

She may go in for physiotherapy of the limbs regularly so that she can gain some strength back.

Give her high nourishing protein diet.

Consult an Orthopaedic surgeon for possibility of giving artificial prosthesis or minor reconstructive surgical procedure to the affected limb so that there can be some correction of her gait that will help her in walking for some distance.

There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW
Hope, I answered your query. If you have any further query or clarification please do not hesitate to write back.

I will be happy to help.