Suffering from piles. Looking for medication

Emergency Medicine Specialist
My mother has piles and she dosen't take any medications.
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 11 hours later

It will be helpful if you mention whether the piles are bleeding or not.

Treatment depends upon the severity of the piles and the accompanying symptoms like persistent pain or bleeding. It can be judged by a proper clinical examination of your mother

Initially, if there are mild symptoms, she can get relief from conservative management like fibre XXXXXXX diet, increase oral intake of water, stool softeners, sitz bath, mild pain killers and rest.

If the above mentioned measures do not give her relief, she should go for procedures like
1. Rubber band ligation or
2. Sclerotherapy or
3. Cauterization

Surgical procedures should be done if the above mentioned procedures fail to give her relief.

She can apply locally ointments for piles containing calcium dobesilate and lignocaine. This will give her some relief in her symptoms.
Any medicine that is prescribed should be done so after speaking with her cardiologist.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any more questions, I will be happy to help.
Follow-up: Suffering from piles. Looking for medication 1 hour later
Hello doctor,

Yes it does bleed.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 5 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

If the piles are bleeding, it should be taken care of as continuous bleeding can result in anemia (low hemoglobin) due to blood loss.

If pain and bleeding is persistent, she should opt for surgery.

I hope this answers your query. If you have any further queries, please let me know.