Suffering from pharyngitis, hyper acidity and constipation. Diagnosed with acid reflux. What to do?

Hi ,
I am suffering from pharyngitis and hyper acidity,constipation for a long time..Now my throat is fine when my stomach is good but when acidity and constipation increase my throat problem starts again.Doctor says that I have a problem of acid reflux which aggravate my problems and when I drop medicine,my upper abdomen starts paining.I am using drugs for gas and acidity since last one year.I am taking leuisuride and rablet reuglarly
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question...

Throat pain which comes only when you have hyperacidity / gastric problems is indeed indicative of a 'reflux esophagitis'. You have mentioned that these gastric / acidity symptoms have been present for a long time and aggravates whenever you stop medication. Now, it is important to find out why you are getting these gastric symptoms so frequently and what we can do to avoid them.

The most common causes or precipitants for acidity / ulcers are:
- irregular and unhealthy eating habits
- anxiety and stressed lifestyle
- frequent use of medication (like pain killers), alcohol, smoking, etc.
- a particular chronic bacterial infection called Helicobacter pylori

Other possible diagnosis for your frequent gastric symptoms and bowel irregularities could be IBS), ultrasound scan, few blood tests (like CBC, liver function tests, amylase, etc.) and if necessary, a gastroscopy.

2) Secondly, it is likely that your gastric symptoms could be related to anxiety. You have mentioned in your history that your symptoms were controlled by yoga. This indicates that underlying anxiety could be a potential cause. So, practicing relaxation methods like XXXXXXX breathing, yoga, meditation, etc. should help preventing your symptoms. Sometimes, mild doses of anti-anxiety medication can also help a great deal.

3) In many cases of long-standing ulcer problems, Helicobacter pylori could be the culprit. So, an empirical treatment with appropriate anti-bacterial medication may be helpful.

4) Whatever the underlying cause it, dietary modifications and a healthy lifestyle will definitely help to reduce symptoms. Try eating at regular times, avoid spicy and oily food, increase the content of fibre (like more of fruits and vegetables) as well as regular physical exercise is essential.

I hope that you would be able to follow these suggestions and benefit from them.
Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist