Suffering from parkinson's disease. Will this cause bilateral paralyzed vocal cord?

ENT Specialist
Atypical Parkinson's is my disease. I've just been diagnosed. I now observe that I've over my lifetime already worked through most of the symptoms. Is it possible to kick start my bilateral palsied vocal cord enervate it somehow?
Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Laryngeal re-innervation may be done by an anastomosis of the recurrent or superior laryngeal nerves with the ansa cervicalis or hypoglossal nerves.

2. The exact state of your vocal cords and laryngeal function is important in deciding any surgical option. If you can share an endoscopic video (preferably a stroboscopy) of your larynx, it will help in understanding your problem.

3. I am assuming that you are not responding to medication and that central (brain related) causes have been ruled out. Do you have any aspiration or dysphagia?

4. There are many indications and contra-indications for such a re-innervation procedure and hence you must fit the basic criteria. You can stat by describing in detail and attaching images of a recent videolaryngoscopy.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.