Suffering from numbness in head and arm. Prescribed inderal and tryptomer. Suffer from anxiety. Suggest

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
iam suffering from numbness in head,sometimes in my arm for last 10 years.Was given inderal 10 tears ago for few months & then i stopped.Last week i felt worse & have been asked to take Tryptomer for 2 months,10 mg.Daily.Also im suffering from anxiety due to a family issue.Is the medication prescribed ok or i take a second opinion.I took the first tab.yesterday but did not feel good
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 1 hour later

You are suffering from headaches off/on with numbness in head & arm
may I suggest.

1. Get your MRI BRAIN/CERVICAL SPINE to rule out any organic cause for headache & numbness

2 Try taking anxiolytic medications along with analgesics. you may try combination of amitryptilline with chlordiazepoxide for few weeks

3. If headache anxiety still persists consult a neurologist for complete neuropsychological evaluation

4 Try to de-stress through YOGA/MEDITATION etc.

5. Check your blood pressure regularly especially during headaches

Hope this answers your query.

Thanks,
Dr Praveen k XXXXXXX XXXXXXX consultant neurosurgeon

Follow-up: Suffering from numbness in head and arm. Prescribed inderal and tryptomer. Suffer from anxiety. Suggest 12 hours later
can tryptomer 10 mg alone for 2 months as suggested by a neurosurgeon be enough & more importantly safe?

Hi XXXXXXX

Ttryptomer alone is ok. Add combination if there is no relief after tryptomer.

Tryptomer is safe even for prolong use.

thanks
dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX XXXXXXX consultant neurosurgeon