Suffering from moderate back pain. MRI showed loss of normal cervical lordosis. Do I need surgery?

Dec 2012

hi sir,

i am suffering from moderate back pain for last one year. i am 28 yrs old and MRI report tells that "loss of normal cervical lordosis. Mild bulge at L4-5 an L5-S1.Posterior bulging annulus at C5-6 and C6-7 indenting anterior thecal sac and narrowing spinal canal".Does i need surgery to overcome this.I am worried since i am unamrried.suggestion pls.
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for posting

In my humble opinion, I do not think you need surgery to correct the slight deformation that is causing you moderate back pain. What you should do first is try medical and physical therapy first. Those have shown to treat and improve quality of life for people who present with your condition. By doing this, you prevent the risks involved with vertebral and/or spinal surgery.
If you can consult with an orthopedic surgery who will guide through the management of your back pain by providing medications such as analgesia or antiinflammatory (steroidal or non-steroidal) and then getting you see a physical therapist. Surgical correction could be done if after trying above and you still find no improvements.

Hope this helps
Follow-up: Suffering from moderate back pain. MRI showed loss of normal cervical lordosis. Do I need surgery? 26 hours later
whether this disc bulge problem will affect my future life.i.e my marriage.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 6 hours later

Chronic pain usually will affect your quality of life. Physical therapy and pain killers will help you have little or no pain. Your marriage or sexual habit might also be affected by the pain. You should keep a positive mind and worry less about the pain. By accepting it is a good way to start. Then see an orthopedic surgeon to help you improve your quality of life.

Hope this answers your question

Dr Nsah