Suffering from migraines. Take crocin, migranil. What is the trigger for migraine?

Good

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I get a lot of migraines. I have never liked to eat chocolates, cakes or anything sweet. Normally these are triggered by certain smells. (have a sharp sense of smell) Normally i do reiki on myself for 15 minutes and it works. Else i take a crocin. If harsh i take a Migranil. What is causing this?
Posted Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 35 minutes later
Hi there.

Do you have headaches more severe on one side of your head ?

Do you feel nauseous or have any vomiting during the headaches ?

Do you get any ringing sensation in your ears, giddiness, weakness of any part of your body ?

Are you on any medication besides those for Migraine, like contraceptive pills ?

Have you gained weight recently, any hair on the chin ?

Migraines are usually severe headache attacks which are more common in women. The cause for migraines is still not perfectly documented but triggers for a migraine like chocolate, coffee, smoking, alcohol, emotional stress, sleep deprivation, hormonal disturbance, sunlight exposure, loud noise are very much real and can cause a migraine attack.

The blood vessels in your brain dilate and become larger thus pressing on delicate nerves nearby which causes the migraine headache. The above mentioned triggers have a role in dilating blood vessels which trigger the attack.

Reiki is known to reduce emotional stress and help relax every part of the body which is why it is very effective in migraine treatment.

Eat a balanced diet. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do daily moderate exercise. Get 6-8 hours of sleep daily.

Kindly avoid above mentioned triggers.

If you have frequent attacks, I would recommend you to consult with a leading Neurologist.

There are basically two kinds of treatment.

One type is to abort a Migraine attack, drugs used are Triptans, NSAIDs, Crocin, Migranil etc.

The other type of treatment is preventive therapy where medication like Propranolol help in preventing an attack altogether. This will reduce the number of times you get the attacks.

If you have frequent disabling attacks, your Neurologist may recommend both forms of treatment.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.

Follow-up: Suffering from migraines. Take crocin, migranil. What is the trigger for migraine? 17 minutes later
yes, either left or right and then once headaches start - i cant see from that side...the vision either shines or blackens out

when i was a child mom used to give salt water which would help me vomit out the bile.

no

no

i have gained on stomach- no hair. (stomach must be eating :-))

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 19 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX.

Thanks for the reply.

The symptoms you have are typical of migraine.

It is highly advisable to avoid the above mentioned triggers to avoid an attack.

If you have recently gained weight, feeling of lethargy, intolerance to cold weather, constipation, increased sleepiness etc. this could point to possible low thyroid function which can also cause migraine. Kindly get evaluated for the same by your Doctor.

Kindly consult a leading Neurologist for best management of your problem with appropriate drugs as Crocin or Migranil may not be very helpful in the long run.

Kindly eat a healthy diet and exercise daily for maintaining fitness which will promote good health.

Wishing good health.