Suffering from loose bowel movements. Feeling uncomfortable after eating. Suggest some remedy?

Hey, I've recently returned from a holiday to XXXXXXX (9 days ago) and I've had some frustrating issues regarding my bowel movements. My issues are that my toilet visits are consistently runny (Unless I eat bread and carb foods in bulk) and from time to time I have to rush to the loo, so I guess I do have in an essence mild diareah. I have no actual pain, other than feeling somewhat uncomfortable after eating and releasing quite a lot of gas (Burping and the other end). I am not vomitting, nor do I have a temperature as some online remedies seem to mention. Is there any over the counter remedies in the UK that I can take that will stabilise these symptoms? Given that I have minor complications seeing a GP due to recently moving home. Thanks for any help.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Your History suggests you have Gastroenteritis which could be either viral or Bacterial.
Kindly don't worry as there nothing seems to be serious considering the history.
Take a healthy, balanced and nutritious diet consisting more of fruits, salads, soups and raw vegetables (after proper washing). Medicines such as loperamide (Imodium) and bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol) can help relieve symptoms.
The BRAT diet (i.e, bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) or soft easily digestible semisolid diet can also be taken. Further, avoid eating any junk food or oily, spicy food, fatty foods, sugary foods, dairy products, caffeine, and alcohol until recovery is complete.
In case the symptoms are persistent then you need to consult a physician for stronger prescription medicines.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.